The heart of Trancoso is undoubtedly the town square known as the Quadrado. Founded in 1586 and largely unchanged ever since, this 320-meter long green park sits on a dramatic hilltop overlooking the sea. The Quadrado is surrounded by flowering trees and some 50 antique fisherman houses painted in bright colors (four of which are a part of UXUA), as well as the small white 16th century São João Batista church.
All motor traffic is prohibited and during the day horses graze while children play, locals trade and socialize or make sport. By evening the atmosphere turns festive with artists displaying their work, musicians playing and locals and visitors dancing and dining under the light of candles.